The bathroom is the only place in your house where you purposely use water for each frequent entry. And let’s admit it, constant water drips, splashes, wades, and sprays can really make every bathroom a moist place. One might ask, using vinyl wallpaper a practical idea to design your humid bathroom? The answer is yes, and here are the reasons why.
Why vinyl wallpaper can be used in a bathroom?
Because of its plastic material, vinyl wallpapers can be used in a bathroom since they are water resistant. They are non-absorbent, so they won’t absorb any liquid or water splashes on its surface. So, even in moist areas, these wallpapers can withstand any contact with water than other materials. Unlike old types of vinyl which was regarded as the polyester of the time, the new and improved vinyl wallpapers no longer have holes preventing water or moisture to penetrate through.
Is there a difference between a solid vinyl and a vinyl coated wallpaper?
A solid vinyl wallpaper has a fabric base. And the vinyl used is in its solid form. Since it’s not merely treated in liquid form unlike other vinyl wallpapers, this kind of vinyl can withstand water contact and scrubbing. Thus, a solid vinyl wallpaper is good for the bathroom since it’s water resistant, scratch proof and easy to wipe and clean.
Also, a solid vinyl is tough and can withstand other surrounding elements. It’s thick and sturdy so it doesn’t tear easily. Because of its strong and durable material, it makes sense to use them even in high traffic areas like the bathroom.
A vinyl coated wallpaper on the other hand, is usually paper based but then coated with polyvinyl chloride (PVC). Since the wallpaper is made with a thin layer of vinyl, it’s not as thick as the solid one, so it’s prone to tear easily. However, because of its vinyl coat, it’s also non-absorbent to water.
Whether using a solid vinyl or vinyl coated wallpaper, it’s built to resist water. This said, they’re a good choice if you’re worried about moisture buildup or mold growth in your humid bathroom.
Where can you put a wallpaper in the bathroom?
Although vinyl wallpapers are water resistant, most designers and builders still strongly suggest against putting your wallpaper in the shower area, shower walls, and on the wall above the shower enclosure. Obviously, these places are prone to highest moisture buildup. It’s recommended that tiles be installed in these areas instead rather than wallpapers.
Also, you can use vinyl wallpapers not only on your walls, but even on your ceiling. And you can use it to refurbish old wood furnishings like cabinets, drawers, shelves or frames in your bathroom. You will be quite surprised how your dark colored vinyl wallpaper will work well in contrast to a bathroom’s white and bright surrounding. The color ensemble produces that balanced yet striking appeal.
Will my vinyl wallpaper last long?
At an average, vinyl wallpaper lasts 10-15 years. However, due to its moist surrounding, it’s better to be sure than complacent. So, to better ensure that your wallpaper will stay long in your bathroom wall, you should do the following:
- Clean your wall surface from dust
- Minimize using your bathroom to prevent leaving water splashes..
- Avoid using the shower overnight prior to installing your wallpaper. This may be a cause for moisture buildup.
- Although the vinyl covering of the wallpaper makes it more than enough to keep it waterproof, you can still coat the paper with clear matt varnish or even a mildew resistant primer on the wall for that added protection from residual water.
- Most importantly, maintaining a good bathroom ventilation will help your wallpaper last longer.
Why is vinyl wallpaper advantageous?
Using vinyl wallpaper is a good substitute to tile for all the right reasons.
1. Vinyl wallpapers are very economical. A primary advantage of using vinyl wallpaper is their variety. They have various designs, patterns, and textures to choose from. Their material is even so glossy, they can pass like real marble. So if you want to produce that luxurious marble wall or countertop, you can easily choose a vinyl wallpaper design with less cost. Vinyl wallpaper is a good substitute since it’s more inexpensive than tiles.
2. It’s easy to put. Since vinyl wallpapers already have an adhesive stick, it makes the process simple and quick. You can do it yourself without the need of a professional putting it for you.
3. They are removable. Worried that you can’t design your bathroom since you’re renting? No problem. Vinyl wallpapers are made with a peel and stick design. You can easily remove your them as fast as you paste them on. Yes, their adhesive can easily be removed and won’t harm existing wall paints.
4. Ease of Cleaning. Since these wallpapers are made of vinyl film similar to plastic coating, they have smooth and shiny surface. This makes it easy for you to wipe out any stain, soap lathers, chemical residues, or even crayons or markers which your little ones may accidentally do. You can just wipe it with a rag, towel, or sponge to wash it off.
5. They’re environmentally friendly. Since today’s vinyl wallpapers are non-toxic, they are safer than others.
Are my vinyl wallpapers sustainable and environment-friendly?
Not all vinyl wallpapers are sustainable. But a good start in making your choice is finding vinyl wallpapers that use water-based ink and recycled paper.
Be minded that most of the designs used in vinyl wallpapers make use of ink for that visual effect. However, most inks are made from solvent which carry chemical compositions. So how will you know if your vinyl wallpaper is sustainable and environmentally-friendly? Check if your wallpaper is printed using water-based ink. Chances are, these wallpapers have lower levels of volatile organic compounds (VOC) and toxins, yet still create the same stylish design.
Another thing to consider is the paper material used. Choose recycled paper, or better yet, those certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) is one way to support the environment. An FSC certification ensures that the forest from which wood products came from are being managed, thus reducing environmental impact. The FSC standard likewise ensures that manufacturers not only practice responsible forestry but also avoid the use of highly hazardous chemicals.
Finally, pick wallpapers with Greenguard certification. This guarantees that the material used in the manufacture of your vinyl wallpaper has been tested to contain low levels to no VOCs and are non-toxic.
So, if you want an eco-green vinyl wallpaper, choose one that passes all standards of sustainability like the removable Mayflower vinyl wallpaper. It’s BPA free, FSC certified and Greenguard certified. Also, since it’s 100% eco-friendly, this vinyl wallpaper is lead and phthalate free.
We are now living in a world with very limited resources. This being said, choose wallpapers that are sustainable. You not only have a simple and stylish bathroom, but you are helping the environment as well. Also the use of natural products can protect your family from toxin hazards.